Tuesday, February 9, 2010

A Whole New World

Long time no post, right? I told my dear friend Colin Mansfield, when he talked me into starting a blog, that there was no way I could ever maintain even a semi-regular posting schedule... I was right. Well, better late then never.

I'd like to share a little bit about myself. My nose was built wrong. The piece in between one's nostrils (the septum) was crooked and largely blocking my nose. Due to severe allergies (and the medication for them), the turbinates in my nose were swollen to the point of literally filling whatever space was left. Also, unbeknownst to me, I had a bone spur in my nose. All this culminated in the general inability to breathe through my nose.

Note the past tense. On December 31st, 2009, I had surgery to correct my nose. They cut out large pieces of swollen tissue, corrected my deviated septum and found/removed a bone spur. While the initial recovery process was somewhat dicey (constantly running nose I couldn't blow, dry and scabbed nostrils, and the worst nosebleed of my life), I've slowly began to discover all the things I've been missing.

Following is a list of a few amazing moments I've had since recovering from surgery. You may think them trivial at best, but I can guarantee that, when experienced for the first (few) time(s), they are truly awe-inspiring.

Breathing and chewing simultaneously
Walking into the house and smelling dinner cooking
Smelling dinner
Breathing through my nose and therefore not having chapped lips
Clearer speech in general
A much larger vocal singing range, and the increasing ability to use it
After having dropped a girl off, still being able to smell her scent on your shirt
Walking down 8th St. and smelling Pie Hole's pizza from the sidewalk
Ditto for Dawson's
The smell of a rainy day
Being able to smell myself after working out (which is both good and bad)

I can't end without mentioning one last thing: I'm eagerly looking forward to Spring, and all of nature's scents that accompany it!

No comments:

Post a Comment